Absences and tardies are detrimental to a student's learning and increase the possibility of failure. The following policies and procedures are designed to prevent these occurrences and increase every student's chances for success. All parents can check their student’s attendance by viewing it through their ABI online access. Visit the Alhambra High School website and click on the ABI Link.
FULL DAY ABSENCES (925) 335-5816
1. Full day absences must be reported by the parent/ guardian in writing, by email (AHSattend@martinezusd.net) or by calling the Attendance Recorder 335-5816, (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).
2. All absences must be cleared within 72 hours.
3. Identify yourself. Your name and relation to the student. (Caller must be on parent/guardian approved list.
4. Give the date(s) of absence.
5. Spell the student's last name. Give the first name.
6. Give reason for absence.
7. Calls made after 1pm may not be recorded until the following day.
LEAVING DURING SCHOOL DAY
1. Whenever possible, appointments should be made outside of school hours.
2. The student must obtain a permit to leave campus PRIOR TO LEAVING.
3. In order to obtain a permit, call the Attendance Office 12-24 hours prior to the appointment, but no later than 1 hour prior to the dismissal time: 925-335 -5817
4. Students may not leave class to obtain a permit and must do so before school, during long passing or lunch.
5. The student must present the permit to the classroom teacher in order to leave during class. Students will not be excused without a permit to leave campus. Students must then sign out in the Attendance Office.
6. The Attendance Office cannot call the classroom if a student needs to be dismissed. In the event of a family emergency, an administrator will coordinate the student’s dismissal.
7. Anyone reporting an absence after the fact will be issued an “Illegal Absence” (CUT), regardless of the reason. No exceptions.
8. When returning to campus the same day, return to Attendance for a permit to re-enter class.
Please Be Aware...
1. Many calls and notes neglect to include the information needed to clear absences.
2. Cell phones frequently cut out on the recorder. Speaking softly may also result in the call being disconnected.
3. Students often forget to turn in notes within the 72 hour period; please call or email if you receive notification from the auto-dialer.
4. Parents and students can check online to see whether absences have been cleared via the ABI parent portal.
General Information Regarding Absences
1. Absences may ONLY be cleared by the parent, guardian, or person listed on the emergency card. Calls, notes or emails made by the student or other unauthorized persons violate rules for attendance clears and will result in student disciplinary action as determined by an administrator.
2. Student requests for checking attendance records should be done before school, after school, at brunch or at lunch. Students/parents may also check attendance via the online parent portal.
3. If a student's appointment lasts longer than the original excused time period, a parent must notify the attendance office by phone, note or email to clear the additional periods within 72 hours.
4. If a student feels ill at any time during the school day, he/she must come to the Attendance Office and get permission to leave. Students must be issued a permit to leave campus and must sign out.
5. AHS is a closed campus. Students may not leave campus without permission from parent/guardian and a pass from attendance. This includes students involved in leadership, yearbook or other activity groups. Failure to comply will result in disciplinary action including removal from activity groups.
1. Illness or injury of student
2. Medical appointments
3. Funeral Services (immediate family)
(Ed code: 1 day in state or 3 days out of state)
4. Approved School-Related Activities
5. Court Appearances or jury duty
6. Observation of Religious Holidays
7. Employment Conference (requested by parents)
8. Family Emergency
9. Pre-informed Absences (independent study contract needed)
Illegal Absences (CUTS)
1. Leaving without prior permission from parent/guardian
2. Illegal phone call or forged note
3. Failure to clear an absence within 48 hours of
returning to school
4. Failure to obtain permit to leave early
5. Failure to sign out in Attendance Office
6. Failure to return from off campus lunch on time.
1. Personal reasons (car trouble, overslept, etc.)
2. Failure to complete Independent Study contract
** Students must make arrangements with teachers to make up work due to legal absences. Make up policies may vary from teacher to teacher. Teachers are NOT required to provide make-up work for unexcused absences or suspensions. Any student with an excused absence shall be allowed to complete all assignments and tests missed during the absence that can reasonably be provided and on completion shall be given full credit. The teacher shall determine what assignments the student shall make up and in what period of time the student shall complete such assignments. Tests and assignments may be the same as those missed or reasonable equivalent to them (EdCode 46015,48205)
1. Illegal absences (cuts) in a course will result in the following consequences:
1st illegal absence: One hour detention. Parent notified. 2ndillegal absence: Saturday School. 3rd illegal absence: Saturday School. Meeting with parents, teacher, administrator. Student Attendance Review Board, (SART) process begins. 4th illegal absence: Saturday School. Referral to the Student Attendance Review Board (SARB) and possible revocation of the privilege to participate in extracurricular activities (LOP).
2. Students may not make up work for Illegal Absences.
Chronic Illness – Doctor’s note required
Students absent for any reason without a doctor’s note for 10% or more of the school year will be required to present a doctor’s note for all future absences prior to those absences being cleared.